Group marks students’ achievements at Annual Awards Ceremony
The Heart of Yorkshire Education Group ended the year on a high as it celebrated its students’ achievements at its Annual Student Awards Ceremony.
Held on Tuesday 12th December at Castleford College, 20 awards were presented throughout the evening across a range of subjects including Construction, Engineering and Mathematics.
The event was attended by learners from Castleford College, Selby College and Wakefield College alongside their family members, staff and Governors from the Heart of Yorkshire Education Group and distinguished guests from the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and Waystone.
Sam Wright, Principal and Chief Executive at the Heart of Yorkshire Education Group, opened the event by congratulating the students. Sam said: “Our Annual Student Awards enable us to look back on the year and acknowledge our students’ amazing achievements. Tonight’s winners have shown sheer determination and hard work throughout their studies and because of this, have significantly advanced in their learning – with many progressing onto higher-level programmes with us, securing a place at some of the UK’s top universities or enjoying fulfilling careers. I would also like to thank our employer partners who have generously sponsored the awards, which I know is greatly appreciated by our winners.”
This included Jeffrey Utley MBE from the IET, who presented the Engineering Prize for Student Excellence to Elliot Barugh.
Jeffrey Utley MBE said: “It’s a pleasure to be able to present this award on behalf of the IET. The IET is an institute for professionals, but we understand that everyone needs to start somewhere and that is why we are committed to supporting awards such as these to inspire and encourage young learners into careers in the Engineering sector.”
Elliot Barugh, who studies Engineering (Fitting and Assemblies Technology) at Castleford College, said: “I feel very proud of myself for winning this award and I’m grateful to my tutor Tim Shipman for pushing me to get the grades – it shows that hard work really does pay off.”
Jeffrey Utley MBE presenting student Elliot Barugh with the Engineering Prize for Student Excellence Award
Alistair McLoughlin, Building Manager at Waystone Ltd. was also on hand to present the Gideon Schreier Bursary Award for Outstanding Student Performance and Potential in the Field of Construction.
With the competition fierce for the accolade, two winners were chosen this year – with Level 2 Electrical Installation student Luis Battye and T Level Construction student Oliver Mills both taking home an award.
Alistair said: “Waystone has been instrumental in the redevelopment of the Glasshoughon site, so we are extremely keen to support young learners in the community and most importantly, the next-generation of Construction workers. We are determined to carry on the legacy of our former colleague Gideon and his passion to train and promote our industry’s future workforce. Luis’ and Oliver’s exceptional talent is clearly evident, and I hope this is just the start of their journeys in the Construction sector.”
Alistair McLoughlin from Waystone (middle) with Luis Battye (left) and Oliver Mills (right)
Andrew McConnell OBE, Chair of Governors at the Heart of Yorkshire Education Group, presented the remainder of the awards throughout the evening, including the Walshaw awards which recognise both the highest achieving students and the most improved in Mathematics at Castleford College and Wakefield College.
Les Walshaw, who sponsored the award, taught Mathematics at the College in the late 80s and early 90s and enjoyed working with its gifted Mathematicians. When he died, he left the College a substantial amount of money which has been invested to secure annual awards for students in Mathematics.
The awards included:
- Walshaw Award: Highest Achieving Student at Advanced Level Mathematics – Ishwari Ramasha
- Walshaw Award: Teachers’ Award for Advanced Level Mathematics - Jacob Hawkins
- Walshaw Award: Most Improved Student at Advanced Level Mathematics - Olivia Saxton
- Walshaw Award: Highest Achievement for Student at GCSE Mathematics - Craig Brown
- Walshaw Award: Most Improved Student at GCSE Mathematics – Fiona Reny
- Walshaw Award: Teachers’ Award for Achievement for Student at GCSE Mathematics - Damian Morris
- Walshaw Award: Teachers’ Award for Achievement at Functional Skills Maths at Level 1 – Nabeela Bilal
- Walshaw Award: Teachers’ Award for Achievement at Functional Skills Maths at Level 2 – Peter McTernan
Fiona Reny said about her award win: “I was really surprised to win this award and how far I have come with studies in Mathematics. I’ve progressed from the Level 1 programme right up to the Level 4 meaning that I was able to get a place studying Level 3 Applied Science at the College, which I hope will lead me onto a job in the medical field one day.”
Andrew McConnell OBE presenting Fiona Reny with the Walshaw Award: Most Improved Student at GCSE Mathematics Award
The Heart of Yorkshire Education Group also sponsored and presented a range of awards for Selby College students, including:
- Highest Achieving Student at Advanced Level Mathematics - Alexus Lambert-Dowell
- Most Improved Student at Advanced Level Mathematics - Adam Kosnik
- Teachers’ Award for Achievement at Advanced Level Mathematics - Jess Sharp
- Highest Achievement for a Student at GCSE Mathematics - Olga Lukjanova
- Most Improved Student at GCSE Mathematics - Chloe Petch
- Teachers’ Award for Achievement for Student at GCSE Mathematics - Esme Lee
- Excellence in Engineering Award - Evie Shaw
- Excellence in Engineering Award - Billy Lobley
- Excellence in Construction Award - Nikolajs Lukjanovs
For more information about the range of courses at the Heart of Yorkshire Education Group and its Colleges, please visit: www.heartofyorkshire.ac.uk
Friday, 15 December, 2023
- Group wins Yorkshire Learning Providers Award Tuesday, 6 February, 2024
- National Apprenticeship Week 2024: Celebrating Skills For Life Monday, 5 February, 2024
- Group shortlisted for three Yorkshire Learning Provider Awards Thursday, 11 January, 2024
- Group marks students’ achievements at Annual Awards Ceremony Friday, 15 December, 2023
- Group enhances its Free Online Learning offer Monday, 4 December, 2023